Friday, November 28, 2008

My Lesbian Friend.

A really cool conversation occurred between me and a friend today. It all started when we were hanging out in the back of the store to load items for customers. As you know from the title of this post, my friend is an out-of-the-closet lesbian. We've discussed it before, but we never got as deep as we did today.

It turns out that her father volunteers as a pastor and is a fairly religious man. Knowing what I know about religious views on homosexuality, I asked her how her family reacted when they found out that she was a lesbian, and the response really made me feel good. She said that her siblings really didn't have a problem with it, and her parents (while in "disagreement" with her lifestyle) were accepting of it as well. I was surprised by this, simply because of the many horror stories that I've heard about coming out as homosexual. The worst of those stories usually involved religious parents.

It was nice to see that good people who are also religious can be so unconditional with their love, instead of falling in line with the fundamental hatred that religious people typically bring to bear on those who defy religious teachings.

On a side note, my friend confirmed what I had always thought about homosexuality; that it is a feeling just like heterosexuality. Homosexuals feel a strong attraction to those of the same sex. Its not a switch that they turn off and on at will. Gays and lesbians don't want to be on the fringes of society, they just are because of how they feel.

I'm proud to know this person. We shared so much with each other today, and it was an amazing experience. I learned that good parents, religious or not, love their children regardless of sexual preference. I learned that homosexuality is not a cry for attention, but a genuine feeling that is suppressed and frowned upon by most of the world's societies. Good and bad people exist in every aspect of society, whether we like it or not, but I'm glad to see that my friend's father was willing to put aside his religious convictions in order to love his daughter.

No comments: